About the Max Planck Society
The Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science is an independent, non-profit research organization. It was founded on February 26, 1948, and is the successor organization to the Kaiser Wilhelm Society, which was established in 1911.
The primary goal of the Max Planck Society is to promote research at its own institutes. It is not a government institution although it is funded to a large extent by the federal and state governments. Instead, it is a registered association and has its registered seat in Berlin. The Administrative Headquarters and office of the President are located in Munich.